Re: post-2.6.14 USB change breaks sparc64 boot

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 14:24:32 EST

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Alan Stern wrote:

> > This might actually want to be split to disable legacy stuff as soon as
> > possible to prevent a flood of interrupts, sending SMIs and what not else.
> > That just requires poking at the PCI config space. Whatever's the rest
> > could be done later. I guess hot-plugged USB host controllers are not
> > configured for legacy support, so the early bits should not matter for
> > them.
>
> See this email thread:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=113081793516723&w=2

Hmm, how does this relate to my suggestion? Apart from me having to note
that I have a MIPS-based system with an UHCI -- so these HCs are not
completely limited to Intel-based systems. Though, unsurprisingly, it
doesn't use any of the legacy crap. SMI from the south bridge is routed
to somewhere IIRC; probably an ordinary interrupt (and happily ignored).

Maciej