Re: best way to handle LEDs

From: Robert Schwebel
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 15:26:22 EST

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 12:44:59AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Handheld machines have limited number of software-controlled status
> LEDs. Collie, for example has two of them; one is labeled "charge" and
> second is labeled "mail".
>
> At least the "mail" led should be handled from userspace, and it would
> be nice if (at least) different speeds of blinking could be used --
> original Sharp ROM uses at least:
>
> yellow off: not charging
> yellow on: charging
> yellow fast blink: charge error
>
> I think even slow blinking was used somewhere. I have some code from
> John Lenz (attached); it uses sysfs interface, exports led collor, and
> allows setting different frequencies.
>
> Is that acceptable, or should some other interface be used?

IMHO reducing digital outputs to LEDs goes not far enough. All System-
on-Chip CPUs have General Purpose I/O pins today, which can act as
inputs or outputs and may be used for LEDs, matrix keyboard lines, we
even use them as shutdown lines for DC/DC converters in Linux based
power controllers for autonomous measurement systems. I think a
framework for LEDs should be based upon a low level infrastrucutre for
GPIOs. I've written such a thing some time ago, it has been discussed in

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109419621428925&w=2

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take care of that stuff yet and
port them to recent kernels :-(

Robert
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686
Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-9