Re: Can I reduce CPU use of conntrack/masq?

From: Antonio Vargas
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 15:23:45 EST

On 11/2/05, Steve Snyder <R00020C@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am working on what amounts to a Ethernet to Ultra-Wide Band (UWB)
> converter box. Packets are simply routed from 1 interface to
> another.
>
> This box is based on an ARM7TDMI CPU, running Linux 2.4.26, and the
> network throughput of the box is CPU-limited. How limited? The
> 100Mbps/FD Ethernet can do no better than 35Mbps.
>
> I've discovered that I can improve Ethernet throughput by about %20 by
> removing the the conntrack/masq support from the kernel. The removal
> is good only as a test, though, since I need this functionality to
> move the packets between interfaces.
>
> This is the relevant config:
>
> CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=y
> CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=y
> CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=y
> CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
> CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=y
>
> Enabled at boot time like this:
>
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o uwb0 -j MASQUERADE
> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> I wonder if I can improve conntrack/masq performance at the expense of
> flexibility. This will be a closed system, with simple and static
> routing. Are there any trade-offs I can make to sacrifice unneeded
> flexibility in routing for reduced CPU utilization in conntrack/masq?

Hmmm... totally untested and don't know the details of UWB but...
can't you simply ether-bridge the interfaces instead of masquerading?
It should need less CPU

> Thanks.
> -

Greetz, Antonio Vargas aka winden of network

http://wind.codepixel.com/
windNOenSPAMntw@xxxxxxxxx
thesameasabove@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Every day, every year