Re: NFS Permission denied instead of EROFS

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 01:53:18 EST

>> # mount localhost:/export /mnt -t nfs -oro
>
>This is on a filesystem that has been mounted with the -ro flag? That
>would be a client bug.

I seem to mix things up too often. Smaller and correct:

-o rw for ro-exported-fs returns EACCES instead of EROFS for write
operations on files that exist.

>Hmm... The client code does look a bit dodgy there (particularly NFSv4).
>I'll see if I can come up with a patch.

I use nfsv3...

>> Which brings me right to question... should mountd or knfsd be adjusted to
>> refuse a rw mount request if an nfs export is only available as ro? Like it is
>> already the case with normal block devices:
>
>How would knfsd or mountd know? There is no way for the client to
>communicate to the server that it is mounting for read-write.

What, the client does not pass the ro/rw flag along? Humm.

But knfsd knows that a certain export is ro, and therefore should return EROFS
for all write operations that it receives.

Jan Engelhardt