Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 01:13:25 EST

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:49:03 PDT, Marc Perkel said:
> From a user's perspective if you have not rights to access a file then
> why should you be allowed to delete it?

Because it's your directory, dammit, and nobody else should be allowed to
clutter it with files you can't even read. :)

What's so hard to understand about that viewpoint? Want to try to explain
the converse to a Windows/Netware user? "But it's *MY* folder, why can't I
get rid of this file I can't read and have no use for?"

Trying to make it "make sense to the user" without expecting the user to learn
at least a bit about what's going on is futile, as Alan Perlis understood:

When someone says "I want a programming language in which I need only
say what I wish done," give him a lollipop.