Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 00:49:46 EST

D. Hazelton wrote:

Novell Netware type permissions. ACLs are a step in the right
direction but Linux isn't any where near where Novell was back in
1990. Linux lets you - for example - to delete files that you have
no read or write access rights to.

As someone else pointed out, this is because unlinking is related to your access permissions on the parent directory and not the file.

Right - that's Unix "inside the box" thinking. The idea is to make the operating system smarter so that the user doesn't have to deal with what's computer friendly - but reather what makes sense to the user. From a user's perspective if you have not rights to access a file then why should you be allowed to delete it?

Now - the idea is to create choice. If you need to emulate Unix nehavior for compatibility that's fine. But I would migrate away from that into a permissions paradygme that worked like Netware.

I started with Netware and I'm spoiled. They had it right 15 years ago and Linux isn't any where near what I was with Netware and DOS in 1990. Once you've had this kind of permission power Linux is a real big step down.

So - the thread is about the future so I say - time to fix Unix.