Re: Linux SATA S.M.A.R.T. and SLEEP?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 16:54:19 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

It would be great to have some way to match drives with names, but there doesn't seem to be a single solution for PATA, SATA, SCSI and hotplug. Something like mounts using UUID of the filesystem, but for the drives.

I believe it would be pretty easy for userspace hotplug scripts
(udev and pals) to assign drives names by matching model/serialno,
if that's what you had in mind.

That's the functionality I have in mind, the problem is finding the model and serial number info for all the various types. In some "really works" plug and play world there would be software to generate something like the UUID, and a nice table of what to call it. That doesn't quite seem to be the case yet, and it makes life a bit dificult if you need raw partitions on plugable devices.

Not impossible, but PITA right now. Anyone looking for a topic for their thesis? ;-)
--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)