Re: revert yenta free_irq on suspend

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 18:01:45 EST

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 ambx1@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In general, I think that calling free_irq is the right behavior.

I DO NOT CARE!

It breaks hundreds of drivers. End of discussion.

You can do the free_irq() and request_irq() changes _without_ breaking
hundreds of drivers by just doing one driver at a time.

And if ACPI then restores the irq controller state, the drivers that
_don't_ do this will _also_ continue to work.

Let me re-iterate: the ACPI changes provably BROKE REAL PEOPLES SETUPS.

For absolutely _zero_ gain. Drivers that want to free and re-aquire an
interrupt can do so _regardless_ of whether ACPI restores irq routings
automatically or not.

And that's my argument. We don't do stupid things that break peoples
existing setups in ways that nobody can debug.

Linus