Drivers for Ricoh SD Card Reader

From: Tomàs Núñez Lirola
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 06:10:08 EST

Hi
I have a Thinpad X40 notebook, with a Ricoh SD Card Reader. This card
reader has not a Linux driver, so I can't use it. Googling I've deduced
nobody can, as everybody notes the same problem with the device.

The device is not new, as my notebook is one year old. So it's strange we
still don't have a linux driver.

I'd like to do something about it, and I've asked Ricoh and IBM for some
specs of the device, to try to build the driver. But they only answer
"There is no linux driver, and is not planned to release it."

Obviously, this answer is useless, but I don't know what to do now... Do
you know if Ricoh has released specs before? Do you think IBM should have
them?

What would you do in my place? Which should be the next step?

Thanks

PD: Please CC me as I'm not subscribed yet to kernel list. Thanks again.
PD2: In case you are curious about the device, here is 'lspci -v'

0000:02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev 8d)
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0555
Memory at b0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=02, secondary=03, subordinate=06, sec-latency=176
Memory window 0: 20400000-207ff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: 20800000-20bff000
I/O window 0: 00004000-000040ff
I/O window 1: 00004400-000044ff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 03e1

0000:02:00.1 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd: Unknown device 0822 (rev 13)
Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0556
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
[virtual] Memory at d0221000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=256]