Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 19:33:34 EST

Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:

>Okay, so you are suggesting that file-as-dir would provide the user
>interface for enabling the encryption or compression. Alternatively,
>though, an ioctl could be used to control compression and encryption.

Why is it that /proc does not use an ioctl? Use of metafiles could
allow eliminating ioctl(), which most folks I know hate as an
interface. Wouldn't it be cleaner if we could find out what ioctl()s
are supported by a given file using ls filename/..../ioctl?

Excerpt from the ioctl man page, which lacks a list of what features are
implemented or how to find out.

CONFORMING TO
No single standard. Arguments, returns, and semantics of
ioctl(2) vary
according to the device driver in question (the call is used
as a
catch-all for operations that don't cleanly fit the Unix
stream I/O
model). See ioctl_list(2) for a list of many of the known ioctl
calls.
The ioctl function call appeared in Version 7 AT&T Unix.