Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 13:56:51 EST

David Masover <ninja@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[snip]

> That's not to say that none of this should be userspace, just that some
> of it most certainly *never* needs to touch userspace, such as
> cryptocompress.

It seems that transparent encryption and compression really has little
to do file-as-directory and metafs. There needs to be a mechanism for
specifying (per-process or per-user) keys to the kernel, but other than
that, the file or directory on which this transparent
encryption/compression has been enabled can just be accessed normally.
An attempt to access a file or directory for which a key is not
available would give EPERM (or possibly the encrypted data, but this
would be problematic for directories; it also might be the case that
only encryption of file contents and file names would be supported).

> I'm not guessing that you wanted to make it FUSE, I just want to be
> pre-emptive here. FUSE will NOT work well for this.

In suggesting the file-path-based search facility (which, by the way, is
an interface that does not allow for searching with terms that include
'/'), you surely cannot be suggesting that search-by-artist or IDv3 tag
support be added to the kernel.

[snip]

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard