Re: reiser4 plugins

From: M.
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 08:02:43 EST

On 6/28/05, Horst von Brand <vonbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Markus Törnqvist <mjt@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > >Handling other people's data this way is just reckless irresponsibility.
> > >Sure, you can get high performance if you just forego some of your basic
> > >responsibilities.
>
> > Your honest-to-bog opinion is that the FS vendor is responsible for
> > the admin not taking backups or the hardware vendor shipping crap?
>
> No. But just relying on perfect hardware and concientious sysadmins is
> reckless. Hardware /is/ flaky, sysadmins /are/ (sometimes) lazy (and
> besides, today they are increasingly just plain Joe Sixpack users). Also,
> backing up a few hundred GiB is /not/ fun, and then keeping track of all
> the backups is messy.
>
> Also, I'm not claiming that they are /solely/ responsible, but not having
> the filesystem fall apart utterly every time some bug breaths on it /is/ a
> requirement.

Bug ? We're speaking about bad blocks NOT bugs...

When your hard disk get a bad block you can't keep using it and rely
on the "badblocks-proof filesystem structure that prevents you to do
backups"..even with FAT, the simpler filesystem structure around, if
you keep using you disk you are likely going to loose some data (yes,
maybe not entire files). But, even with the metadata's richer
filesystem, if you detect the first badblock you can save almost
everything.

Does it really makes sense to design a filesystem in a way that gives
users some more time to use their filesystem from the first happened
badblock or it's better to focus on new features that give better
everyday use in terms of performance, functionalities, etc ?

And, are you sure that users who dont do and dont know they have to do
backups of sensitive data are able to recover a corrupted filesystem ?

> > *still trying to understand how that can be*
>
> You haven't been around too much yet, do you?
> --
> Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616 counter.li.org
> Departamento de Informatica Fono: +56 32 654431
> Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria +56 32 654239
> Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile Fax: +56 32 797513
> -

Michele
--
"Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality."