Re: patch] Real-Time Preemption, plist fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Jun 05 2005 - 03:58:02 EST

* Esben Nielsen <simlo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When K is a constant or bounded by a constant (140 in this
> application) any function which is O(K) is O(1) per definition of O!

technically you are right. But the question is - while K is considered a
constant, and N (nr_running_RT_tasks) is technically not bounded - in
practice N is bounded just as much. Have you ever seen any hard-RT
application that has more than 140 threads _running at the same time_ on
a single CPU? You can even enforce it to be theoretically bounded, via
ulimits.

in fact, K and N should be pretty close to each other for most
applications. I'd be interested in real application scenarios where N is
much (== more than 10 times) larger than K and plists really matter.

Ingo