Re: [RESEND] Hard disk LBA sector count is not always the same

From: Petr Vandrovec
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 17:22:21 EST

DervishD wrote:

current capacity is 156299375
native capacity is 156301488

Hard drives have a feature that can reserve a certain amount of space away from the user.

Yes, I know, but the problem is that 2.4 kernels *does* reserve
that space but 2.6 certainly not, and if I boot into 2.6 and then
reboot into 2.4, then 2.4 *does NOT* reserve that space.

Yes. It is normal...

See the paragraph above: if I partition the disk under 2.6 the
partition will have a bigger address than the one that will be
available under 2.4, and that can give errors while accessing that
extra sectors. What can I do? For technical limitations in my box, I
have to use 2.6 for repartitioning that disk (and I will be doing
that in less than a month) and this will lead to unaccesible sectors
when I boot back into my usual 2.4 kernel :(

(1) You do not have to create partition over full disk.

(2) If you'll build your 2.4.x kernel with CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE=y
('Auto-Geometry Resizing support'), I bet that your problems with 2.4.x
kernels disappear.
Petr