Re: When we detect that a 16550 was in fact part of a NatSemi SuperIO chip

From: Brian O'Mahoney
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 15:57:10 EST

Please see below.

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, 22 May 2005, Russell King wrote:
>
>>Therefore, I put forward that this thing which appears to be called
>>"author" does not reflect authorship, but who submitted it.
>

> It _is_ supposed to reflect authorship, but it does so within the context
> of the SCM, not in any other larger context. In git, "author:" is a fairly
> descriptive TAG, nothing more.
>
> Don't get hung up about technicalities. If the field said
>
> frog: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> that wouldn't mean that Arjan would have been magically transformed into a
> frog in the real world sense, would it?
>
> The fact that the field says "author:" does not mean that the person named
> is necessarily the "author" in the _copyright_ sense, it only means that
> he is the author in the limited sense that "git" gives it. And in the
> limited "git" sense, it's really an educated guess, aka "we're tryign to
> give credit where credit is due".

There is an argument, after SCO, for a

copyright: xxx

tag, and a clear public statement on the kernel.org home page about
assignment, the GPL and submission.

> The fact is, trying to be technical about single words in human language
> and thinking that that a meaning in one specific context carries over to
> some other usage of a word in another context is simply not true. Not
> here, not _anywhere_.
>
> And btw, lawyers and judges aren't idiots either. They're human beings,
> and they can tell the difference between two contexts. Trying to argue
> some silly technicality with a judge is not likely to get you very far in
> general.

Absolutely right, and outside the US, the Costs in Cause, principle
means that any attempt at vexatious litigation is likely to prove an
expensive mistake.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen, Brian.