Re: semaphore understanding: sys_semtimedop()

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 01:52:14 EST

randy_dunlap wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:17:04 +0200 Patrick Plattes wrote:

| The variable decrease will never be used again in this | function, so why this intricate code? Isn't this much easier and works
| also:
| | for (sop = sops; sop < sops + nsops; sop++) {
| if (sop->sem_num >= max)
| max = sop->sem_num;
| if (sop->sem_flg & SEM_UNDO)
| undos++;
| if (sop->sem_op != 0)
| alter = 1;
| }
| | Maybe i'm totally wrong, so please correct me and don't shoot me up,
| 'cause i'm not a os developer.

Looks like a reasonable and correct optimization to me.

It looks correct:
decrease was added during 2.1 development: it's not in 2.0.40, it's in 2.2.26: I think the idea was that operations with decrease can cause other threads to block, therefore a different wakeup strategy was used. The wakeup implementation was rewritten, but the loop remained unchanged.
I'll write a patch, thanks Patrick.

--
Manfred