Re: Screen regen buffer at 0x00b8000

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 15:02:27 EST

On Fri, 20 May 2005 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:26:59 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven said:
On Fri, 20 May 2005, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

I think that I've discovered a bug. I know that what I have written gets
to the screen buffer because I can read in back! This doesn't make
any sense.

Even if it's only in the CPU cache, of course you can read it back (using the
CPU, not DMA ;-).

No, the bug is in Richard's assuming that because he can read it back in means
that it's in the screen buffer. In fact, it only means he wrote it into some
memory location that he can read back in. ;)

Now if he added a description that verified that a read *from the screen
buffer*
(rather than "from where he wrote") shows his changes, *then* he'd have
something...

Well MAP_FIXED must either mmap the physical location I provided or
it must fail. Since it didn't fail, I figure that it did what I
told it to do. Now, that "FIXED" refers to a fixed offset. Geert is
correct when he says that it's probably just in cache. Now begs
the question... Why would a hardware buffer ever be cached? That's
why I think I found a bug. It certainly shouldn't be cached.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.11.9 on an i686 machine (5554.17 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.