Re: why nfs server delay 10ms in nfsd_write()?

From: Peter Staubach
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 08:09:40 EST

steve wrote:

Hi Peter,
My envionment looks like that:

NFS ServerïSuse9 Enterprise NFS ClientïRedhat AS3.0(kernel 2.4.21)

I made a ramdisk and export it with nfs
Server and Client are connected with 1000Mbps

mount the ramdisk on the client with parameters: -t nfs -o rw,noac

then test with iometer and the parameters are: Outstanding IO is 32, transfer request size is 512, sequential write
the result is about 300KB/s, iops is about 600

with dd test i find the delay most cost at the server.

i agree with Avi that "if the NFS client has no (or low) concurrency, then write gathering would reduce preformance"

I would agree too with Avi, and especially in this configuration...

I think that we could construct a writer gathering implementation which did not
show measurable performance impact in this sort of situation though still.

Thanx...

ps