Re: ACPI S3/APM suspend

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 20:55:58 EST

Hi.

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 00:59, Ian Soboroff wrote:
> Ian Soboroff <isoboroff@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I recently reinstalled my laptop (Fujitsu P2110) with RHEL4, and I
> > found that neither ACPI S3 or APM suspend (booting with acpi=off) work
> > reliably with their stock kernel (a 2.6.9 derivative). Sometimes
> > resuming works, but more often the computer locks up, or the keyboard
> > doesn't function respond.
>
> Just tried with 2.6.11.10 using ACPI. On resume, the mouse doesn't
> respond (there isn't even a cursor). If I C-A-Backspace out of X, GDM
> needs to be specially HUP'd to restart. But the mouse still doesn't
> work.

You will probably be able to address this by building psmouse and evdev
as modules and doing the following sequence:

1) chvt away from X
2) rmmod psmouse & evdev
3) suspend & resume as normal
4) modprobe psmouse & evdev
5) switch back

The hibernate script (see http://suspend2.net) can make this less
painful if you want it.

In the case of USB mice, you will probably want to unload not just
psmouse & evdev, but the whole set of USB modules.

Regards,

Nigel