Re: Sync option destroys flash!

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 15:45:12 EST

On Tue, 17 May 2005 linux@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

It can also respond to loosing power during write by getting it's state
so mixed up the whole card is dead (it identifies but all sectors fail
to read).

Gee, that just happened to me! Well, actually, thanks to Linux's
*insistence* on reading the partition table, I haven't managed to
get I/O errors on anything bit sectors 0 through 7, but I am quite
sure I wasn't writing those sectors when I pulled the plug:

hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=6, sector=6
hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=6, sector=6
hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=6, sector=6
hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=6, sector=6
ide0: reset: success
hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=6, sector=6
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 6
unable to read partition table
[SNIPPED...]

You can "fix" this by writing all sectors. Although the data is lost,
the flash-RAM isn't. This can (read will) happen if you pull the
flash-RAM out of its socket with the power ON.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.11.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.