Re: ipw2100: intrusive cleanups, working this time ;-)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 05:02:59 EST

Hi!

> >There's a lot to clean up in header file, too... And this time it
> >actually works.
> >
> >Now, I'd like to clean it a bit more and then submit it to akpm for
> >-mm series. Will someone hate me for doing that?
> >

> Initial look over the patch looks reasonable; no functionality changes,
> just code reduction. That said, I would like to pass it through a quick
> validation cycle before its picked up.
>
> We submitted ipw2100-1.1.0 to netdev a month or so ago. I would like to
> see it go in to -mm through the netdev tree. I'll ask our QA folks to
> run this patch through a quick regression cycle here just to do a sanity
> check on it. Assuming nothing comes up, and if Jeff hasn't merged the
> ipw2100 code yet, I'll resubmit the ipw2100 driver w/ your patch applied.

Ok. [I may try and do more similar cleanups soon.]

> Part of the process we have in place is to try and make sure that the
> versions that get picked up by distros and the majority of users have a
> 'known' level of quality. As part of that, we only want to get changes
> pushed to -mm and eventual mainline that have gone through regression
> testing.
>
> Sound workable?

Yes... Maybe it would be better to have regression testing between -mm
and mainline. I.e. allow "good looking" changes go to -mm, so that -mm
tree gets nice, small patches, but only dump changes from -mm to
-linus when it actually works.

Pavel
--
Boycott Kodak -- for their patent abuse against Java.