Re: gcc randomly crashes on my PowerBook with recent kernels...

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 17:32:50 EST

On Thursday 13 January 2005 20:54, David Eger wrote:
> I apologize for the vagueness of the message, but for all ye TiBook users,
> over the last couple months of kernels, I've noticed gcc (various versions
> in the 3.0 series randomly), non-deterministically crashing on large builds.

gcc is a very good hardware checker. :)

I had a gcc crashing problem. Turned out to be RAM
timing problem. memtest86 wasn't able to trigger it
for me in overnight runs. gcc does it in seconds -
if you find a "magic" set of compile options and source file.

As you correctly noticed, yu have more chances of hitting
magic in large compiles.

I grabbed crashed gcc's command line from make log
and ran it in endless loop.
I had a crash (SIGSEGV due to mangled pointer) with ~10%
probability.
--
vda