Re: gcc randomly crashes on my PowerBook with recent kernels...

From: René Rebe
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 14:27:22 EST

Hi,

On 13. Jan 2005, at 19:54 Uhr, David Eger wrote:

I apologize for the vagueness of the message, but for all ye TiBook users,
over the last couple months of kernels, I've noticed gcc (various versions
in the 3.0 series randomly), non-deterministically crashing on large builds.

The builds tend to be fine and complete immediately after a reboot.
I've replaced my RAM recently, and the problem happened before and after
the replacement so I don't *think* it's the RAM.

Has anyone seen this sort of weird corruption behavior? I don't know
where or how to start debugging this. Could be anything... bad drivers,
bad builds of gcc.. Any ideas? (and if you suggest d/ling a stock
compiler, instructions for doing this in gentoo would be appreciated ;-) )

My T2 (www.t2-project.org) PowerPC systems tend to be rock solid - I only once managed to get random memory corruption when I tried out PREEMPTION. BenH mentioned PREEMPTION and ReiserFS (I use) might not play that well - at least not on PowerPC.

I had yet no time to review the affected code myself - however without PREEMPTION all is well.

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.exactcode.de/t2