Re: Make pipe data structure be a circular list of pages, ratherthan

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 12:55:29 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Gwe, 2005-01-07 at 16:17, Linus Torvalds wrote:

it a "don't do that then", and I'll wait to see if people do. I can't
think of anything that cares about performance that does that anyway: becuase system calls are reasonably expensive regardless, anybody who
cares at all about performance will have buffered things up in user space.

Actually I found a load of apps that do this but they don't care about
performance. Lots of people have signal handlers that just do

write(pipe_fd, &signr, sizeof(signr))

so they can drop signalled events into their event loops

I would be one of those people, although I do pass the signal information as well.

Chris