Re: ARP routing issue

From: Julian Anastasov
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 02:42:00 EST

Hello,

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Jan De Luyck wrote:

> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/net/0308.1/0071.html
>
> Basically it comes down to this:
>
> I have an IBM server running RH ES, kernel 2.4.9-e.49. It has two interfaces:
> eth0 10.0.22.xxx
> eth1 10.0.24.xxx
>
> default gateway is set to 10.0.22.1, on eth0.
>
> Problem is, if I try to ping from another network (10.216.0.xx) to 10.0.24.xx,
> i see the following ARP request:
>
> arp who-has 10.0.22.1 tell 10.0.24.xx
>
> which, imo, is wrong.
>
> I know it has to do with the default gatway, but I can't devise a way to make
> it actually _WORK_.

Not wrong but it is one of the possible valid requests. If it
is ignored from other boxes in your setup then you can look
at new kernels. 2.4.26 and 2.6.4 come with new sysctl flags for ARP.
arp_filter filters incoming requests but you can use arp_announce to
control the source IP when sending requests, eg. in IBM server you can set
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth*/arp_announce to 1 or 2 or even just
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_announce to 1 or 2

> Any pointers?

See Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt for more info.

> Thanks.
>
> Jan

Regards

--