Re: starting with 2.7

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 02:05:29 EST

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 00:37, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 06:50:20PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I disagree Willy, if I see an -rc candidate, even if I'm following
>> an interesting thread, like Ingo's patches, the rc will get built
>> and run here, precisely so I can bitch if it doesn't work. I have
>> an idea there are more like me who are interested as much in whats
>> *new* as in how well does it run *my* stuff, and that you may
>> possibly be undercounting us...
>
>I do this too when I have time, but basically, the number of testers
>is limited to a small percent of the amount of LKML readers. This is
>why I say it does not get tested on a large scale. Seeing that even
>slashdot announces new releases, I suspect that releases are tested
>by 10 or 100 times more users than -rc. If we spend too much time
>waiting for a few hundred people to test -rc, it is with great
> deception that we discover that obvious bugs go to the final
> release unnoticed, like the NFS problem on 2.6.8 which hit me on
> the first boot. OK, I would have seen it in -rc, but I didn't have
> time to test -rc this time, and nobody else did enough testing on
> it. Result, -rc did not serve to catch this obvious one. I agree
> that a very few days should be better than absolutely nothing, at
> least to catch build problems, but we should not wait too long.

FWIW Willy, I did build a couple of the rc's there (coming up on
2.6.8), now of course entropy has set in and I couldn't prove it, the
space has been reclaimed, whatever. My point is that the rc's didn't
bite me, only the final, and it bit hard.

Again, to TPTB, give us a few days to beat on it in the rc mode, then
rename whats working to final. In the meantime, I'm back to beating
on Ingo's stuff for the moment.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)