Re: 2.6.10-bkcurr: major slab corruption preventing booting on ARM

From: Russell King
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 11:20:39 EST

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 02:43:50PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> I've had a report from a fellow ARM hacker of their platform not
> booting. After they turned on slab debugging, they saw (pieced
> together from a report on IRC):
>
> Freeing init memory: 104K
> run_init_process(/bin/bash)
> Slab corruption: start=c0010934, len=160
> Last user: [<c00adc54>](d_alloc+0x28/0x2d8)
>
> I've just run up 2.6.10-bkcurr on a different ARM platform, and
> encountered the following output. It looks like there's serious
> slab corruption issues in these kernels.
>
> I'll dig a little further into the report below to see if there's
> anything obvious.

Ok, reverting the pud_t patch fixes both these problems (the exact
patch can be found at: http://www.home.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/misc/bk4-bk5
Note that this is not a plain bk4-bk5 patch, but just the pud_t
changes brought forward to bk6 or there abouts.)

So, something in the 4 level page table patches is causing random
scribbling in kernel memory.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/