Re: 2.6.10-mm1

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 04:06:38 EST

* Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > remove-the-bkl-by-turning-it-into-a-semaphore.patch
> > remove the BKL by turning it into a semaphore
>
> This _smp_processor_id() mess is horribly ugly. Do you really need
> that debug check?

wrt. necessity, it's quite handy: check out the 2.6.10 changelog, almost
all preemption bugs wrt. smp_processor_id() were found this way.

what precisely is the 'mess' you are referring to?

is it the way the include file falls back to the original
smp_processor_id() definition if an arch doesnt define
__smp_processor_id()? I could get rid of that and just require every
arch to define __smp_processor_id().

or is it the addition of _smp_processor_id() as a way to signal 'this
smp_processor_id() call in a preemptible region is fine, trust me'? We
could do smp_processor_id_preempt() or some other name - any better
suggestions?

Ingo