Re: [XEN] using shmfs for swapspace

From: Joseph Fannin
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 13:43:55 EST

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 04:26:52PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
[...]
> this is presumed to be infinitely better than forcing the swapspace to
> be always on disk, especially with the guests only being allocated
> 32mbyte of physical RAM.

I'd be interested in knowing how a tmpfs that's gone far into swap
performs compared to a more normal on-disk fs. I don't know if anyone
has ever looked into it. Is it comparable, or is tmpfs's ability to
swap more a last-resort escape hatch?

This is the part where I would add something valuable to this
conversation, if I were going to do that. (But no.)
--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx