Re: Reducing inode cache usage on 2.4?

From: James Pearson
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 09:00:14 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 11:33:24AM +0000, James Pearson wrote:

Setting vm_mapped_ratio to 20 seems to give a 'better' memory usage using my very contrived test - running a find will result in about 900Mb of dcache/icache, but then running a cat to /dev/null will shrink the dcache/icache down to between 100-300Mb - running the find and cat at the same time results in about the same dcache/icache usage.

I'll give this a go on the production NFS server and I'll see if it improves things.

Ok great. If 20 isn't enough just set it to 40, just be careful that if
you set it too high the system may swap a bit too early.

I've changed the value of vm_mapped_ratio to 20 - which has a default value of 100 - I guess you're talking about vm_cache_scan_ratio?

I've tried changing just vm_cache_scan_ratio to 20, but it doesn't seem to make any difference - I though a higher vm_cache_scan_ratio value meant less is scanned?

James Pearson