Re: Question from Russells Spinlocks

From: Brian Gerst
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 16:54:45 EST

Imanpreet Singh Arora wrote:

Hello there,

I was reading Russell's guide on spinlocks, and I have some questions regarding it.

Question--> Russell says that in case of non-SMP machines spinlocks don't exist _at_ALL_. Well they should do something don't they like disable interrupts and premptations. I checked linux/spinlock well they DO NOT do anything atleast not when DEBUG_SPINLOCKS == 0. My understanding is that since they aren't used anywhere outside kernel and drivers(?), they can't be prempted. At least that is what I have read.

On UP kernels, the spinlock operations that include interrupt manipulations still affect interrupts. It's only the actual lock portion that becomes a no-op.

What does the comment about gcc while defining atomic_t signify?
--> What about the comment about the limit of 24 bits on atomic_t? a) Atomic operations on integers are guranteed only if there value can be stored in 24 bits.
b) Atomic operations are guranteed only if the pointer has 8 MSbits set zero.

In 2.6, the 24-bit limit is no longer valid. atomic_t variables are a full 32 bits on all arches now.

--
Brian Gerst