Re: wait_event_interruptible

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 08:34:22 EST

Hendrik> Hello, I created a kernel thread inside of my driver by
Hendrik> calling the function kernel_thread with a function
Hendrik> pointer. Now this thread calls daemonize and allow_signal
Hendrik> and then it runs a forever loop until it is terminated by
Hendrik> the kernel (unloading the driver etc). And because it is
Hendrik> written in the documentation I put the thread asleep by
Hendrik> calling wait_event_interruptible with a wait queue called
Hendrik> "dpn_wq_run" inside the forever loop. Now is it right
Hendrik> that a wake_up_interruptible in the ISR has to wake up
Hendrik> the thread so it continues its work? If yes... why isn't
Hendrik> that working for me? I called wait_event_interruptible
Hendrik> with that dpn_wq_run inside the kernel thread and do a
Hendrik> wake_up_interruptible inside the ISR with the same
Hendrik> dpn_wq_run. But my kernel thread won't wake up. Is there
Hendrik> anything else I have to do to the wait queue, but calling
Hendrik> init_wait_queue on it?

wait_event_interruptible() will sleep until your ISR wakes it up, but
for your thread to run, you also need to make sure that the condition
being tested by wait_event_interruptible() is true (otherwise it will

wait_event_interruptible(&my_wait, work != 0);

then your ISR needs to do

work = 1;
wake_up_interruptible(&my_wait);

If you don't set work, the wake_up will have no effect.

- R.