Re: kernel panic after changing processor arch

From: John Lash
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 14:10:07 EST

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:58:33 +0200
"Niel Lambrechts" <antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > my first guess would be that the reiserfs module on your
> > initrd needs to be recompiled using the PENTIUMM arch.....
> >
> > --john
>
> No.
>
> I did:
> make menuconfig - change from i686 to pentiumm - save settings.
> make
> make install
> mkinitrd -s 1024x768 -k "bzImage.2.6.8-24.5-default" -I "initrd" -m
> "reiserfs"
> lilo
>
> If I "mount -o loop" the new initrd, modinfo shows the type of
> reiserfs.ko to be "PENTIUMM" as I would expect...
>
> I have also tried compiling reiserfs support directly into the kernel
> and dropping reiserfs from the -m option, to no avail.
>
> -Niel

so much for the first guess. try modifying the initrd to pop open an interactive
shell that you can use before it actually fails. You can poke around and see
what's going on. Depending on how it's set up, you might be able to get away
with something this simple in the linuxrc:

/bin/sh </dev/console >/dev/console 2>/dev/console

If you ramdisk has strace and some other use utilities, it might help you track
down the bad apple.

--john