Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm2-V0.7.32-0

From: Esben Nielsen
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 18:22:45 EST

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> [...]
> on low RT load (the common case)

In the system I deal with on my day job, 50% of the CPU load is from
RT tasks!

In fact, I think that is quite normal for industrial applications. Those
tend to be PLC-like: You run your scan every 10 ms. First you read your
input, then you do your calculations then you set your output. You do
the same thing every time. You can thus safely tick around at a CPU
load close to 100%!!

This is quite opposit to how telecom real-time systems works: Those are
usually event based. I.e. they process things when they occur. The load
can vary a lot depending on how much traffic has to go through the device.

Esben