Re: dma errors with sata_sil and Seagate disk

From: John Lash
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 23:30:14 EST

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:41:22 +0000
Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mer, 2004-12-01 at 17:50, John Lash wrote:
> > I don't see any indication that Seagate has released any public firmware
> > upgrades for this drive. Anybody have a suggestion?
>
> Don't mix seagate drives and SI311x hardware is the best suggestion.
> Even if you activate the workaround for the problem you take a
> performance hit.
>
> Please send Jeff Garzik a patch for the the change you made of course.

Thanks Alan, that's pretty clear ;-) Yes, performance hit, big time, 9-10 MB/sec, load average
through the roof on a big copy. Pretty much what I was expecting though. I'll look around work and
see if there is anybody I can trade with. Odd that those two devices are so wildly incompatible.

I'll roll up a patch for the change in the morning.

--john