Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 15:52:55 EST

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Larry McVoy wrote:

> And in lots of other places. Which has been mentioned in this and other
> instances of this discussion for the last 5 years. And the response is
> that BK already gives you documented ways to interoperate, extensively
> documented, in fact. You can get data and/or metadata into and out of
> BK from the command line. You could create your own network protocol,
> client, and server using the documented interfaces that BK has. You
> could create your own CVS2BK tool, your own BK2CVS tool, etc., all
> using documented interfaces.

Wow, now I'm really interested, how this fits together with this mail:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109884946914484

What I'm asking for there is the _minimum_ amount of information to do
exactly the above. Is there somewhere a provision like "unless you give
this data to evil bk haters"?

To make this easier to understand for everyone, here is a simple example:
a very simple network protocol would be to extend the current commit mails
with the identifiers one can already find in bkcvs, so they can be put
into the correct order.

The million Euro question is now: How can he decline me this information
on the one hand (note: I didn't ask that he gives me this himself) and on
the other hand how will he prevent me from getting to this information, if
someone does exactly the above?
For the answer to this question stay tuned and don't switch the channel...

bye, Roman