Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 11:47:13 EST

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 03:17:16PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > >Why there is any distinction between, say, gcc and X?
> > >KDE and Midnight Commander? etc... Why some of them go
> > >to /opt while others are spread across dozen of dirs?
> > >This seems to be inconsistent to me.
> >
> > At one time Sun had the convention that things in /usr could be mounted
> > ro on multiple machines. That worked, it predates Linux so Linux was the
> > o/s which chose to go another way, and it covered the base things in a
> > system.
> >
> > That actually seems like a good way to split a networked environment,
> > with /bin and /sbin having just enough to get the system up and mount
> > /usr. I can't speak to why that is being done differently now.
> >
> > I guess someone was nervous about mounting a local /usr/local on a
> > (possibly) network mounted /usr and theu /opt, but that's a guess on my
> > part as well.
>
> Read-only /usr is required according to the FHS, and at least on Debian
> a read-only /usr works without problems.

Indeed. And that's what I use. In /etc/apt/apt.conf I have:

DPkg {
// Auto re-mounting of a readonly /usr
Pre-Invoke {"mount -o remount,rw /usr";};
Post-Invoke {"mount -o remount,ro /usr";};
}

> A bigger problem might be to properly support it in the package manager.

Yep. Apt knows about it, but dpkg doesn't. And remounting /usr read-only
fails if files are in use.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds