Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 10:47:13 EST

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 04:54:42PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> > Read-only /usr is required according to the FHS, and at least on Debian
> > a read-only /usr works without problems.
>
> Indeed. And that's what I use. In /etc/apt/apt.conf I have:
>
> DPkg {
> // Auto re-mounting of a readonly /usr
> Pre-Invoke {"mount -o remount,rw /usr";};
> Post-Invoke {"mount -o remount,ro /usr";};
> }
>
> > A bigger problem might be to properly support it in the package manager.
>
> Yep. Apt knows about it, but dpkg doesn't. And remounting /usr read-only
> fails if files are in use.

I was more thinking about the problems like a database upgrade requiring
changes to e.g. the system tables of the database handled in the
{pre,post}inst scripts. It even becomes more tricky since a postinst
script might make changes to both /usr and such required actions.

These issues which require auditing of all packages are the real issue.

> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> Geert

cu
Adrian