Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-mm1-V0.4

From: Florian Schmidt
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 10:13:01 EST

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:25:38 +0200
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > ksoftirqd/0:
> > mango:~# chrt -p 2
> > pid 2's current scheduling policy: SCHED_FIFO
> > pid 2's current scheduling priority: 99
>
> dont do this ... ksoftirqd can spend alot of time processing various
> stuff and it should not be relevant to the audio path. It should be
> SCHED_OTHER.

ah ok, i was wondering about this.. i saw it in rui's setup [SCHED_FIFO with
high prio]. Doesn't seem to make a difference though on first sight. still
xruns plenty above 1ms.

playback only or rmmod'ing the network adapter driver or using the dummy
soundcard driver instead of snd-cs46xx doesn't make a difference either.

after rmmoding the network card driver i saw:

sis900 0000:00:03.0: Device was removed without properly calling
pci_disable_device(). This may need fixing.

in m dmesg. rmmod'ing snd-cs46xx gives me:

Sound Fusion CS46xx 0000:00:0f.0: Device was removed without properly
calling pci_disable_device(). This may need fixing.

too, so maybe i have already hit a BUG in the kernel and this screwed up all
further test results.

Will build a kernel with debugging stuff to see what's up. I'll also build a
VP only version to see if i still get these pci_disable_device() messages
with a "more vanilla" kernel ;)

flo