RE: BK kernel workflow

From: David Schwartz
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 20:42:41 EST

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:22:25 -0700
> "David Schwartz" <davids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I just downloaded bitkeeper, and I didn't have to consent
> > to any license.
> > So you can legally acquire BitKeeper without accepting the
> > license terms. So
> > this whole argument is irrelevent

> You can acquire it, but the first time you ever try to use
> it you will be asked to page through the text of the license
> and agree to it.

That does not matter. Once you lawfully acquire it, you automatically have
the (transferrable!) right to use it. Really. Otherwise, as I said, I could
put my copyrighted poem up on billboards (along with a license if you want)
and then sue everyone who read it.

In the United States, the license, to be valid, must be a condition of
obtaining lawful possession of the copyrighted work. If you disagree, please
feel free to cite cases where this argument was raised and rejected.

DS