[OT] Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 11:15:42 EST

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Tonnerre wrote:

Salut,

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:33:25AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
Why there is any distinction between, say, gcc and X?
KDE and Midnight Commander? etc... Why some of them go
to /opt while others are spread across dozen of dirs?

Well.

FHS specifies that everything needed to boot the system should got to
/bin and /sbin. The base system (build system, etc.) should go to
/usr. The rest should be /opt/itspackagename.

I'm not quite a FHS fan. I use libexec dirs, but I still have my build
system under /usr (and my home under /usr/home), and the rest (X, KDE
et al) lives under /opt.

Hi,

In Gentoo everything goes to /usr/bin or /usr/sbin except very basic things that are instaled in /bin or /sbin and binary-only packages that are instaled in /opt (very good idea).

Yes, Linux (or UNIX) directory structure should be changed years ago but nobody (except GOBO Linux I think) is going to do it. That will require patching realy big amount of code and changing some standards. If somebody has time for it feel free to contact me, and I will tell him (or her) what should be changed to produce The New Directory Standard That Breaks Everything But Is The Best And Most Sane In The World (TM)... :-)

Grzegorz Kulewski