Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Tonnerre
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 10:54:40 EST

Salut,

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:33:25AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> Why there is any distinction between, say, gcc and X?
> KDE and Midnight Commander? etc... Why some of them go
> to /opt while others are spread across dozen of dirs?

Well.

FHS specifies that everything needed to boot the system should got to
/bin and /sbin. The base system (build system, etc.) should go to
/usr. The rest should be /opt/itspackagename.

I'm not quite a FHS fan. I use libexec dirs, but I still have my build
system under /usr (and my home under /usr/home), and the rest (X, KDE
et al) lives under /opt.

Tonnerre