Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Erik Hensema
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 06:25:31 EST

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Linux-2.6.10-rc1 is out there for your pleasure.
>
> I thought long and hard about the name of this release (*), since one of
> the main complaints about 2.6.9 was the apparently release naming scheme.
>
> Should it be "-rc1"? Or "-pre1" to show it's not really considered release
> quality yet? Or should I make like a rocket scientist, and count _down_
> instead of up? Should I make names based on which day of the week the
> release happened? Questions, questions..
>
> And the fact is, I can't see the point. I'll just call it all "-rcX",
> because I (very obviously) have no clue where the cut-over-point from
> "pre" to "rc" is, or (even more painfully obviously) where it will become
> the final next release.

When you (Linus) think a release is ready to be released, call it
-rc1. If you did your job correctly, you can just sit and wait
for a few days and release the -rc1 as a new kernel.
In the real world though, some bugs may crop up, so you'd be
forced to release a rc2. Which in turn may be released unchanged
as the final kernel.

Releases prior to a release candidate can be called whatever you
like. I'd choose -preX ;-)

--
Erik Hensema <erik@xxxxxxxxxxx>