Re: ZONE_PADDING wastes 4 bytes of the new cacheline

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 22:52:47 EST

Jesse Barnes wrote:
On Thursday, October 21, 2004 8:26 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:

I'd be OK with wapping over to the watermark version, as long as we have
runtime-settable levels.

But I'd be worried about making the default values anything other than zero
because nobody seems to be hitting the problems.

Yes, please keep the default at 0 regardless of the algorithm. On the NUMA systems I'm aware of, an incremental min just doesn't make any sense.

That problem shouldn't exist any more, so your one zone per node (?)
NUMA systems, incremental min won't have any effect at all.

That said, it isn't something that we should just turn on and see
who yells.