Re: ZONE_PADDING wastes 4 bytes of the new cacheline

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 22:47:03 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:

I think they probably should be turned on. A system with a gig of ram
shouldn't be able to use up all of ZONE_DMA on pagecache. It seems like
a small price to pay... same goes for very big highmem systems and ZONE_NORMAL.

Problem is, how much lower zone memory do you reserve? If someone is
really getting hit by this in real life then the answer for their workload
is probably "lots". If they are not getting hit then the answer is "none".

Yeah you might be right... although the ZONE_NORMAL can still be used
for other things like slab caches.

Any halfway setting will screw everyone.

I guess what we really need to do is find someone who is getting hit by it.
Andrea do you have any pointers?