Re: Linux v2.6.9 (Strange tty problem?)

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 11:46:28 EST

On Iau, 2004-10-21 at 14:20, Paul Fulghum wrote:
> This restores the original behavior for
> devices that have not yet implemented ldisc->hangup()
> and should work with the new locking.

Unfortunately that re-introduces another existing unfixed problem. The
N_TTY layer echoes bytes back up the stack into the drivers which are in
hangup state.

I did try calling the set_tty_ldisc but not every driver in that
situation then did the right thing and I got stuck ttys too. I think
that is fixed but 2.6.9rc4 was a bit tight.

If you want to do the tty_ldisc_set then add a "nulldisc" that just eats
anything it is fed and EOF's anything the other direction. That
would avoid the driver reflect crash I suspect.