Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Jim Nelson
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 22:29:23 EST

Timothy Miller wrote:

I can produce more detail later, but first, some characteristics and advantages of what I'm proposing:

- x86 BIOS/OpenBoot/OpenFirmware code under BSD and GPL license
- kernel drivers under BSD and GPL license
- X11 module under MIT license
- flashable PROM so that boot code can be added for more platforms
- usable as the console on any platform that can take a PCI, AGP, or PCI-Express card
- downloadable schematic for the circuit board
- FPGA-based graphics engine so it's reprogrammable
- instructions on how to reprogram the FPGA, so it's hackable
- if we discontinue a product, we may release the Verilog code for the FPGA
- Since this is designed to be open-source-friendly, we want to play by the rules of the open-source community.
- Tech Source would actively participate in the development and maintenance of our own drivers.
- We will actually pay attention to problems and concerns raised by users and developers.
- We won't be control-freaks.

I haven't worked out a complete design spec for this product. The reason is that what we think people want and what people REALLY want may not be congruent. If you have a good idea for a piece of graphics hardware which you think would be beneficial to the free software community (and worth it for a company to produce), then Tech Source, as a graphics company, might be willing to sell it.

You might want to take a look at the onboard video market. Providing an open-source 2D rendering engine and the PCI glue logic that work on an FPGA would probably revolutionize embedded PC applicatiuons that rely on a graphical interface. Providing support to motherboard manufaturers who might want a low-cost onboard video solution (micro-ITX, etc) is another possibility.

You also might want to look at PC/104 and CompactPCI form factors - I think the industrial market will be a great target, and, after all, if you have to move 80% industrial equipment to justify the 20% AGP sales, it makes good sense. There might even be a market for ISA, SBus, and MCA cards, for people stuck supporting seriously old machines (386, 486, SPARC) where it's almost impossible to find working graphics cards. Even if it's a DOS machine, hardware is hardware, and a brand-new VL-bus card for someone's 486 would be pretty cool :)

My $0.02