Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Videocard BOOT?

From: Richard Smith
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 20:42:31 EST

Kendall Bennett wrote:

Actually there is nothing wrong with the x86 BIOS from the perspective of functionality and useability (or bloat for that matter). It contains all the functionality we need and armed with something like the x86 emulator we can use it for what we need on any platform.

IMHO that is the best solution to the problem because it will be using code that has been heavily tested by the vendor. The one thing x86 Video BIOS'es can do reliably is POST the graphics card ;-)

I'm just going to take your word on this since you have messed with far more video bioses than I. I've just got a few too many scars over the years from trying to make the whole BIOS sub-system robust enough for embedded standards.

That would be nice if you could trim it down ;-) Would certainly save a

Check out linux-tiny (http://www.selenic.com/tiny-about/)

lot of code bloat. But if you do that, then you would need this code in the kernel since now it would be the boot loader as well ;-)

Exactly. Which is why I like your project and I think its a good thing. The only reason I have to carry around the legacy BIOS baggage is for video.

How big is your in-kernel implementation?

--
Richard A. Smith