Re: Building on case-insensitive systems and systems where -shared doesn't work well

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 14:10:46 EST

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 10:47:07AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >>The only .s/.S ambiguities that need resolving are intermediate files,
> >>so fixing them should only require changing a few Makefile rules.
> >>Let's wait and see what the patch looks like before we
> >>argue about it; maybe it will be simple to make everybody
> >>happy here (well, except those who hate the idea of
> >>letting anyone compile Linux kernels on Cgywin or MacOSX).
> >
> >fair enough, but Mac OS X doesn't require this (UFS
> >is case sensititve, and probably no linux guy/gal uses
> >HFS+), so IMHO it's 'just' Cygwin* folks here ...
>
> MacOSX uses HFS+ by default. As a result, 99% of
> people using MacOSX are going to use HFS+.

> I'm a serious Linux developer, but if I owned a Mac,
> I'd probably leave it set to HFS+, since I like
> to keep my systems vanilla (it makes it easier to
> pick up my stuff and use it on someone else's machine).

> Thus it's not just Cygwin that's affected; this is
> a real issue for MacOSX as commonly configured.

hmm, well, probably the result of a halfhearted attempt
to satisfy both, the OpenStep and the MacOS Classic
developers ... but that doesn't belong here ...

just as fact:

# gcc --version

gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)

# man gcc

file.s
Assembler code. Apple's version of GCC runs the preprocessor on
these files as well as those ending in .S.

file.S
Assembler code which must be preprocessed.

# uname -a
Darwin anson 7.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.5.0: Thu Aug 5 19:26:16 PDT 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.7.21.obj~3/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerp

ONTOPIC:

why not move the intermediate files into a separate
subdirectory which can easily be removed on cleanup?

of course, gcc could also be changed to use different
extensions than .s and .S for those files ...

best,
Herbert