Re: Building on case-insensitive systems and systems where -shareddoesn't work well

From: Dan Kegel
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 13:45:37 EST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
The only .s/.S ambiguities that need resolving are intermediate files,
so fixing them should only require changing a few Makefile rules.
Let's wait and see what the patch looks like before we
argue about it; maybe it will be simple to make everybody
happy here (well, except those who hate the idea of
letting anyone compile Linux kernels on Cgywin or MacOSX).

fair enough, but Mac OS X doesn't require this (UFS
is case sensititve, and probably no linux guy/gal uses HFS+), so IMHO it's 'just' Cygwin* folks here ...

MacOSX uses HFS+ by default. As a result, 99% of
people using MacOSX are going to use HFS+. I'm
a serious Linux developer, but if I owned a Mac,
I'd probably leave it set to HFS+, since I like
to keep my systems vanilla (it makes it easier to
pick up my stuff and use it on someone else's machine).

Thus it's not just Cygwin that's affected; this is
a real issue for MacOSX as commonly configured.
- Dan

--
Trying to get a job as a c++ developer? See http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html